By the old Porvoontie road lies the yellow wooden church of Östersundom. A prayer house was build at this site initially in the 17th century. In the beginning of 2009, Östersundom church was transferred to the Mikael parish of Helsinki as part of the Sipoo area incorporation. At the same time, it became the oldest shrine in Helsinki.
The Vartiokylä church, completed in 1958, was built in the middle of the Vartioharju single-family housing area. It is one of the oldest multipurpose churches in Finland, with a kitchen, parish meeting hall, gym and club and meeting rooms all under the same roof. The Vartiokylä multipurpose church was an attraction when it was completed in 1958. People came to see it from afar. The church was designed by Pekka Laurila.
The plastered church of brick construction, is a typical representative of its era. In addition to the church itself, the church building, dedicated in 1957, has a gym and club facilities. The church was built on a plot purchased with the help of a collection by the small church association. Those travelling north can see the tower of the church, decorated with small, equal-armed crosses.
The Puistola church, completed in 1960, is one of the six churches of the Malmi parish. Because the bell tower cross is illuminated for air traffic, the church has also been called the church of the burning cross.
Designed by architect Leo Tenhunen, the Jakomäki church was completed in 1975. The church is made of a prefabricated construction. The material used was wood and concrete.
The Roihuvuori church, completed in 1970, was designed by architect, Lauri Silvennoinen. The church was built on the highest point of the coast.
The Vuosaari church, completed in 1980, stands on a wooded hillock by Satamasaarentie. Nature and its seasons become an integral part of the church hall through the large west-facing windows. According to a medieval tradition, the Gospel can also be read from pictures: the concrete relief on the altar wall shows episodes from the life of Jesus. Connected to the church is also the Marielund chapel, dedicated in 2006. The Vuosaari church and the extension work carried out in 2006 were designed by the architectural practice Pirkko and Arvi Ilonen.
The church is located in sustainable Eco-Viikki residental area and represents ecological wooden architecture. The exterior walls are made of split aspen shingles. In the interior, there is a forest of pillars made of glulam cluster columns. The altarpiece, Elämän puu (Tree of life), and the works in the baptism recess and on the foyer wall are mahogany patterned with punched silver. Their motif is the vine parable of Jesus. The church was designed by architect Samuli Miettinen from JKMM. The altarpiece, the crucifix and the works in the baptism recess and foyer are by artist Antti Tanttu. The church textiles were designed by textile artist Hanna Korvela.
In the heart of Helsinki, in the old Kamppi cemetery, also called Vanha kirkkopuisto (Old Church Park) stands the Old Church, completed in 1826. The Old Church was designed by the creator of the Empire era centre of Helsinki, Carl Ludvig Engel. The church is decorated with simple pillars in the Doric style, gables and a delicate bell tower. The movables of the Ulrika Eleonora church, which was demolished to make room to the Cathedral, were moved to the wooden church, which was meant to be temporary. Only the pulpit still exists.
Today the church is a popular church for weddings. A short organ recital is given on each Tuesday (at noon).
Completed in 1868 in the Katajanokka district of Helsinki, the Uspenski Cathedral is the largest orthodox church in Western Europe. With its golden cupolas and redbrick facade, the church is one of the clearest symbols of the Russian impact on Finnish history.