Helsinki Central railway station
<p>The Helsinki Central railway station, a pearl among Helsinki's art nouveau buildings, was designed by Eliel Saarinen and opened in 1919. The construction of the Central Station was however started already in 1905. The station is used by approximately 200,000 passengers daily, making it Finland's most-visited building. It is also estimated that over 400 000 persons check the time when passing from the 48,5m high clock tower daily.
<p>The station is covered with Finnish granite, and its distinguishing features are its clock tower and the two pairs of statues, the "Lantern carriers" by sculptor Emil Wikström, holding the spherical lamps on both sides of the main entrance.</p>