<p>Pehr Granstedt made the original drawings for the Presidential Palace at the beginning of the 1800s. Originally built as a residence and business premises for merchant J.H. Heidenstrauch, the building was completed in 1820. In 1837 the building was sold and was then replanned by architect C.L. Engel for official use for the Russian Czar for his visits to Helsinki.
<p>The building has served various purposes throughout its history. Since Finland's independence the building has served as the official residence of the President. Today the official residence of the President is Mäntyniemi in the Meilahti district, near Seurasaari Island. The Presidential Palace contains the Office of the President of the Republic and the premises are used by the President for official functions and receptions.
<p>There are not guided tours organized at the Presidential Palace for the moment.</p>